Video marketing and the popularity of video content continues to grow at a rapid rate across all mediums and platforms. In research conducted by Forbes, video will account for a whopping 80 percent of global consumer internet traffic by 2019, and believe it or not, Video SEO exists and it can make a huge difference on how your brand competes online. When done properly, video is one of the most powerful weapons in the content marketing arsenal and is a fantastic opportunity to capture the attention of your audience, improve your brand engagement and, in an ideal world, increase your sales and leads.
But how can digital marketers make the most of the growing importance of video? We’re here to give you 6 tips for boosting your YouTube and organic video results right now:
1. Assess your current video library and visibility
If you don’t already have your videos categorised, optimised and prioritised, it’s time to do a little housekeeping on your library.
- Start by analysing your YouTube metrics, your Google Analytics reports and any other video hosting provider stats. You will want to understand which of your videos are actually getting views and which are under performing.
- Do some keyword research for each topic your videos cover, and identify opportunities to optimise each piece of content accordingly for each topic.
- Analyse the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) and assess which of your videos are displaying for the relevant key phrases
- Prioritise these videos as high priority on your Video SEO list
- Optimise these videos further to give yourself the best opportunity for boosting your brand awareness and qualified traffic
We know the above takes time and effort, however it is certainly the most fruitful route to take and allows you to establish baseline metrics that you can continue to improve upon. Here is a basic table of the attributes you want to establish and track going forward:
2. Identify gaps in your video content
Start by assessing popular search queries and comparing these to the keywords your video library currently covers. By doing so, you will identify where there are holes in your library so that you can create new content to bridge these gaps. This will give you beneficial insight into what users are searching for as well as buyer needs. This will also set up your new videos for success, as you will be optimising for popular and searched-for topics.
3. Adding optimised links
It’s actually quite common, believe it or not: videos without any links back to the website. Don’t forget to include links back to relevant information, as it gives users a route to additional info should they require it, rather than forcing them to have to search for it. Just pop a link in to your YouTube video description, and ensure it is clickable – another common mistake is to add a URL without making it a hyperlink, and these are poor for user experience and unlikely to net you any click-throughs!
4. Use video for semantic SEO
You can treat your video optimisation activity as an opportunity to expand your keyword focus. Don’t be afraid to stray away from the keyword map you are focusing on for your website. Instead you can target semantic phrases and variations of keywords for your video descriptions and titles.
5. Embed videos into relevant web content
You may want to first start out by assessing your most-viewed pages and their associated engagement metrics. You may find there are opportunities to embed video into your page to increase the view time and improve the engagement rate. By adding videos, you are enriching the user experience and could potentially spark more conversions. Very text-heavy pages can often be broken up and made more-digestible by adding a relevant video.
The very first step, as with most good strategies, is to assess and analyse what you currently have in place and understand what’s missing. Incorporate good link structure to drive traffic back to your website, and add video as part of your informational pages to increase engagement metrics.
Video SEO continues to grow as a great way to expand your band and outrank your competitors online.